My Ramadan Experience



Honestly, I didn't kwon much about Ramadan, as I grew in a Catholic environment. 

I remember to heard that, the Muslim people fast for a whole month and I found it a very crazy and aggressive practice for the body. 
I didn't know that they do eat and drink every day.

Being here, I just found out that I really didn't know nothing about it. 


Pros and Cons
First, I searched in the internet for the pros and cons of fasting. 
I felt excited about what I found. It seems to be very beneficial for health: 

Pros:
" (...) fasting gives the body a chance to rest and cleanse allowing for greater healing. It focuses the body's effort and energy not on digestion, but on repairing and detoxing its various systems". 

- Increases insulin sensitivity;
- helps to clean skin and prevent acne;
- adult onset diabetes;
- allergies;
- anxiety;
- arthritis;
- asthma;
- atherosclerosis,
- autoimmune illnesses;
- benign tumors;
- chronic back and joint pain;
- chronic fatigue;
- colitis;
- deterioration of the musculoskeletal system;
- digestive disorders;
- eczema;
- hay fever;
- heart diseases;
- high blood pressure;
- high cholesterol;
- hyperactivity;
- hypoglycemia;
- inflammatory bowel disease (ulcerative colitis and Crohn's disease);
- insomnia;
- Irritable bowel syndrome;
- lupus;
- migraines;
- osteoporosis;
- PMS;
- psoriasis;
- current infections;
- rheumatoid arthritis;
- sinusitis;
- skin irritations and disorders;
- uterine fibroids; 
- weight loss 

Cons:
- headaches;
- dizziness;
- lightheadedness;
- dehydration;
- Irritability;
- fatigue;
- difficulty in weigh management (after fasting people tend to eat higher calories food);
- low blood pressure;
- abnormal heart rhythms;
- it's not indicated to take medicines while fasting. 


How is the procedure?
Initially, I thought that the Ramadan was abstaining of eating and drinking for 30 days no stop. But that is not correct. It is a long term intermittent dry fasting. 

The Ramadan is a daylight fasting from the sunrise till the sunset. 
In Jordan, it is approximately 14/16 hours of dry fasting per day, depending if it's Winter or Summer. 

The Ramadan this year (2016) started on the 6th of June. It is calculated by lunar calendar. 
So, the sunrise was around 5:30 am and the sunset time was around 7:40 pm. 
People hear the evening call for prayer and they know that is time to break the daily fast. The first meal of the day  is called Iftar. 

This evening meal is often shared with family and friends. Originally, is was frugal and light. But, now is very rich, fat and sweet. 
As the eating time goes until 4 am, many Muslims significantly gain weight during Ramadan. 



Who don' t fast in Ramadan:
- Pregnant women,
- Sick people,
- Elderly,
- Pre-pubescent children,
- Travelers,
- Menstruating women,


- Nursing mothers.



Why is Ramadan so important for Muslims?
It is believed to be the period when the first verses of the Quran were reveled to the messenger Mohammad.

It is also believed that during Ramadan the gates of heaven are open,so,  muslims pray more. 
It is also the time for the pilgrimage to Mecca.




Curious facts:
- People shouldn't get angry, complain or gossip during Ramadan;

- Most restaurants and cafes are closed during the fasting time and open from the sunset till around 4 am;

- During Ramadan,it is expected from Muslims to be more generous and make more charity;

-  In Jordan, eating food or drink, in public, during the month of Ramadan, is considered a criminal offense and is punishable with 1 month in prison and/or a fine of 25JD, even if you're not a Muslim.

- The working hours are reduced as a rule;

- it is forbidden to engage sexual relations and smoking during the fasting time;

- Chewing gum is also prohibited;

- in the end of Ramadan there is a 3 days celebration called Eid-al-Fitr, when people gather together for big meals, sweets and exchanging presents, like Christmas version for muslim;

- There is a traditional sweet for Ramadan called Qatayef. It's a very sweet fried dumpling, traditionally filled with walnuts or white cheese. 
There's also specific sugary juices like mint drink, herbals drinks, tamarind drinks.

- In countries like Iceland, Sweden or Norway, the fasting can last 20 hours or more in the Summer and in cities in the Arctic Circle the sun never sets." 
In these cases, the religious authorities have decreed that Muslims can either fast along with closest Muslim country or along Mecca, Saudi Arabia";

- "(...) Sunni and Shia Muslims fast during Ramadan. But there are some differences - for instance, Sunnis break their daily fast at sunset, when the sun is no longer visible in the horizon but there's still light in the sky, whereas Shia wait until the redness of the setting sun has completely vanished and the sky is totally dark." 
There is another difference during this period, after Ramadan, Shia have another celebration day for the cousin of Mohammed;

- "All members of society are expected to dress conservatively and modestly, women making special efforts to limit the amount of make-up worn and covered arms, legs and shoulders";

- No loud music or dancing is allowed during the holly month;

Like wishing Merry Christmas, muslims also wish a happy Ramadan by saying: "Ramadan kareem" that means have a generous Ramadan or "Ramadan mubarak" with means have a blessed Ramadan;


People decore their houses with christmas lights and Ramadan symbols;

- The Ramadan's symbol is a crescent moon and a star similar to the turkish flag. It symbolizes the start of Ramadan cause the moon is crescent in the first day.


​​




My Experience
Before Ramadan started, I did a test day of dry fasting to see if I could do it. It was surprisingly easy. 
It made me feel confident about going through the Ramadan.


To break the fasting, I had water and dates, followed by the national dish, the Mansaf, served with a typical arab salad and juices. 
For dessert I had plums, black tea, the traditional Ramadan sweet Qatayef and some ice cream. I felt really stuffed!! 

Back home, around 2am I had more food to prepare ourselves for the next day. I had yogurt with honey and cinnamon, cheese sandwich and some cherries and grapes. In between and after, I drunk as many water as I could!! 

In my second day of Ramadan, and maybe because of the warmer days, it was a bit more difficult cause of the thirsty. Temperature was 33c. The weather prevision for that month was temperatures up to 38c!


After 11 hours of fasting I felt a bit dizzy but quickly I recovered.


After Ramadan finished, I realized that, contrarily of what I was expecting, I didn't lose any weight. On the contrary, I gained. 
Possibly because of the eating times. 

I have to say that this experience transformed every meal in celebration and gratitude.


Conclusion
The conclusion I can make is that the longer you are private of food or water, less hunger or thirsty you feel. 

When is time for eating you feel an interior celebration. 
The fasting makes you value the food you take for granted. 

The mind is very powerful and if you set a goal you can definitely achieve it. I bet everybody did at least one diet.  


I am not muslim, I joined this practice for respect and for the health experience.
I don't believe in celebrations to remind me of my moral and civic duties. 
All the days of my life I always try to be kind, honest, truthful and helpful to everybody.  My life motto is: " Don't do to others what you don't want others to do to you". 

But, I admire and embrace all the events that appeals for humanity and introspection, like the Ramadan.








Help:
http://www.onegreenplanet.org/natural-health/the-ultimate-cleanse-the-pros-and-cons-of-fasting-plus-a-how-to-guide/
http://www.allaboutfasting.com/benefit-of-fasting.html
http://www.vox.com/2016/6/6/11851766/ramadan-2016-muslim-about
http://www.healthguidance.org/entry/15649/1/The-Pros-and-Cons-of-Fasting.html